World Travelogue #1: Anticipation

JOHNSON POINT, PENOBSCOT, MAINE, SEPTEMBER 15, 2017

Amidst the bustle and busy-ness of getting ready for a major voyage, a quiet joy seeps into  my heart: the pleasure of anticipation. There’s so much to be done before a voyage like this: apply for a new  passport with enough pages for the requisite stamps and visas, make arrangements for the pets, gather some forty sermons and meditations to be preached on board, set all our accounts to be paid online, and make sure there’s enough of everything from toothpaste to medications to last five months. But any panicking about how much there is to do in so little time only robs me of anticipation’s sweet delight. So I try to move from job to job with gratitude that this is happening to me and with something close to confidence that all will get done on time.

I’m future-oriented these days. I wonder what it will be like to be off in another world for so long. I envision arriving in one exotic port of call after another: into the Caribbean, then out to Africa, transiting  the Indian Ocean, around Australia and New Zealand, island-hopping  across the South Pacific, up the western coast of South America, through the Panama Canal, back into the Caribbean and, one hundred and fifty-four days later, returning to the States.  I can hardly wait for all the unexpected and the unknown that looms ahead.

Having something wonderful to look forward to is one of life’s sweetest gifts, for sure. Looking ahead and dreaming ahead and enjoying the future right now is what I savor as the days draw down to the start of a great adventure!

7 Thoughts on “World Travelogue #1: Anticipation

1. Peter T Smith on September 17, 2017 at 6:57 am said:

Very well said Edward, In a way your anticipation is much like what Donny and I experienced during my navy career. We moved 24 times and we always knew that in a year or two we would be moving again. Unfortunately several times I was already deployed and Donny had to take care of everything by herself……….

Hope you have a grand, storm free voyage. Peter

2. JULIE P. NICHOLSON on September 17, 2017 at 10:23 am said:

Bon Voyage, Edward!~ Anticipation! You are so right about that! Like the tips of tiny crocus showing their heads through the earth after a long hard winter – white, purple, violet – all to become whole flowers bursting with joy and color when they finally emerge to bask in the sunshine! Everything is ahead for you! Everything is full of promise! – as though a broad wide highway stretches in front of you – as though a Mighty Benevolent Force is beckoning you to follow.

“Show me Thy Path, and I will walk in Thy way!” – words that can apply to all of us, actually, regardless of whether we have a world voyage ahead or not! So much of Life is an attitude – one can face it with dread or anticipation, no matter where one is bound. My cancer seems to be leading me on a completely different voyage, but with faith, my voyage may be just as exciting as yours! Savor what is ahead and be grateful. Cleave to the good. Be of good cheer. “I will neither leave or forsake you!”, says the Lord. It is entirely up to each one of us whether we see beauty or shadows ahead. I choose Beauty! And it’s there in great abundance for all!
    Fondly, Julie P. Nicholson

Will Elizabeth be going with you? I do hope so! That would make it absolutely Perfect!

3. Bob Buntrock on September 17, 2017 at 2:40 pm said:

Bon voyage, Edward. I hope you get some shore time, especially in New Zealand and Australia.

— Bob Buntrock

4. Elizabeth Elterich on September 17, 2017 at 4:58 pm said:

Sounds like a wonderful adventure, Pastor Ed. May all go well and may God’s protecting arms surround you. Just yesterday I heard from one of Dad’s friends from St. Thomas. Delphine said although supplies are scarce, no power, and the post office damage, “God protected us! That Irma, she was a wild one!” THey are already working on repair and rebuilding with an unending faith, God is with them. Pleae keep us posted as you travel around the world!! Thoughts, Prayers, and blessings to all you love and care for, elizabeth

5. Cally Rogers-Witte on September 17, 2017 at 5:31 pm said:

Love your description of the pleasure of anticipation!! And what an exciting adventure to anticipate.
    We are sharing the same pleasure as we prepare for “the Great Loop”. Please continue to keep us posted and give Elizabeth a hug from us!

6. Mark Dirksen on September 18, 2017 at 9:43 am said:

Bon voyage, mon ami! I look forward to tales a-plenty when you get back.

7. Looking forward to posts and pictures of your “great adventure” .

Leave a reply or email Edward directly.